To create your own custom crystal grid for any purpose you choose, you will need 5 elements. Find out what they are here.
Table of contents
1. SET AN INTENTION
1. WHAT IS THE GOAL OR THEME?
Start by identifying your needs and goals for using a crystal grid, we call this your intention for the grid.
What do you aim to manifest or bring about? Perhaps a particular job, relationship or other positive outcome? Perhaps you want to invite healing for yourself or another person, or increase your capacity for calm and focus.
First identify what the overall goal or theme is. Here are some examples:
- Abundance, prosperity, success
- Health, healing, wellness
- Peace, calm, restfulness, grounding
- Happiness, joy, re-energizing
- Courage, self-confidence, healthy self-image
- Love, relationships, self-love
- Boosting psychic abilities, opening the third eye chakra, connection
- Alignment, unblocking, balance
Next, start jotting down some words that resonate with you and your intention.
2. WRITING A ONE LINE INTENTION
Write out a few sentences encompassing your goal. Narrow it down until you have one line that is as clear as possible.
Intention setting can feel a bit hard if you’re new to it. Don’t be afraid to search online for “intention examples” to get some inspiration. Here are some tips for setting an intention:
- Ask your angels / guardians / guides to assist you in writing an intention which is for the highest good and with harm to none.
- Think about how the intention aligns with your highest good. For example, instead of saying “I will lose weight”, say something like “I bring my body back into its natural alignment of perfect health”.
- Word your intention in the positive, not the negative (e.g. I align with calm, grounding energy VS I want to be less anxious).
- Keep it short and simple – the less complex and wordy your message is, the easier it will be to communicate and manifest.
Now relax your mind and connect with your breath. Take a fresh piece of paper and write out your intention. Focus on it for a while so that you really align with it.
2. CHOOSE A GRID PATTERN
Now that you have set your intention and you are clear about why you want to work with a crystal grid, it’s time to select a sacred geometric grid pattern.
You can buy a beautifully printed crystal grid, or you can simply print out a grid pattern on a piece of paper.
Choose one that resonates with you and suits your intention. Different patterns work well for different themes. Here are some examples:
- FLOWER OF LIFE is excellent for manifestation and can be used for a wide variety of purposes. It’s a great “all-rounder”. Manifestation, chakra work, personal growth.
- SPIRAL is very effective at drawing in abundance, or removing obstacles or blockages.
- PENTAGRAM is a powerful grid for protection, or to connect to creative energy.
- SEED OF LIFE is wonderful for all beginnings and manifesting new things. Balance, cleansing, healing.
- SQUARE (CUBE) is stable and solid.
- CIRCLE is infinite, great for expansion and endurance.
- METATRON’S CUBE works powerfully with energy and balance. Energy magnifier, spiritual growth, direction.
- INFINITE HEXAGRAM combines 3 hexagrams and brings balance and transformation. Restoring order, supporting change, growth.
- TRISKELION is excellent for times of transition and change. Focus, purpose, calming.
- SUNBURST is a beautiful grid that radiates energy outwards. Revitalizing and energizing. Great for distant healing, and can also be used for protection.
Download our FREE Crystal Grids templates!
For the purpose of this tutorial, we’ll use the Flower of Life layout.
3. SELECT YOUR CRYSTALS
How many crystals you use on your grid will generally be determined by the grid pattern itself – you want to place the crystals in a way that follows, accents or defines the geometric shape of the grid.
The specific crystals you choose will be determined largely by your intention for the grid as well as your energetic needs. Find out which crystals hold power in alignment with your goals – for example Fluorite is a wonderful study aid, while Tourmaline is a powerful protector and grounding stone. For tips on choosing crystals for your grid, read HOW TO CHOOSE A CRYSTAL.
Select up to 3 different types of crystals to make up the numbers you’ll need to make this pattern. You can choose more than 3, however it is recommended that you keep your grid simple for the best clarity and focus.
Aim to place the same type of crystal on each ring or section of the grid – for example, a ring of Fluorite followed by a ring of Carnelian.
You can also use crystal points as in between points or connectors to amplify the energy flow of the grid. Clear Quartz Crystal is an excellent choice for this.
Allow your intuition and creativity to lead you!
4. CHOOSE A KEYSTONE
A key stone is also known as a central, centre, or focus stone. It is the crystal placed in the middle of your crystal grid. A key stone is the central power hub of your grid, focusing your intention and connecting the surrounding crystals.
Just as you selected the crystals for your grid based on their energetic properties to best align with your intention, do the same for which type of crystal you use for your key stone. If you’re unsure, Clear Quartz Crystal is an excellent all-rounder that will work powerfully in any situation.
The shape of a crystal also affects how it works with energy, so which shape you select for your keystone can have significance too. Here are some of the most common shapes used for keystones and how their shapes affect their energy input or output as part of your grid. Again, if you’re unsure, a standing point is an excellent go-to.
TYPES OF KEYSTONES
Crystal Points & Towers focus energy in a straight line, rapidly transmitting energy. It acts as a broadcast tower for the purpose of your grid.
Crystal Spheres emit energy perfectly equally in all directions. They are also capable of moving energy through time, and can access what is to come or what has been, making them excellent for past healing or manifesting a future intent.
Heart shaped crystals represent love, our heart and connection to our heart chakra. They can attract love; bring loving energy & balance into relationships; assist in developing self love & strengthening the heart chakra; and heal emotional wounds.
SQUARES / CUBES
Crystal Squares / Cubes consolidate energy within their forms, anchoring intention and grounding. They can also draw off negative energy, transforming it into positive.
Crystal Clusters radiate energy outwards. Clusters with points work similarly to a single standing point, with every point termination capable of receiving, amplifying and transmitting energy, making them very effective superchargers in a grid layout.
Crystal Pyramids hold manifestation programs, their shape enhancing and focusing the inherent properties of the crystal. They can draw off negative energies and blockages, replenishing with vibrant energy.
5. SELECT AN ACTIVATOR WAND
An Activator wand has a long pointed shape useful for connecting stones on the grid. Quartz makes for a powerful all-purpose wand, while different crystals will bring their own energy into the activation of the grid.
For example, Labradorite is protective and stimulates metaphysical gifts bringing an extra touch of magic to your energy work.
6. IN SUMMARY
There are 5 elements needed to make a crystal grid. These 5 elements are:
- YOUR INTENTION
- SACRED GEOMETRY PATTERN
- ACTIVATOR WAND
Each of these elements require some thought and planning to choose the right combination that best suits your goal.
In the next lesson, we will show you how to set up your grid and activate it once you have these elements ready.
CRYSTAL GRIDS LESSON 4: