Do you have to program your crystal? What does programming a crystal mean? How do you program a crystal? Let’s dive in!
In this article, we’ll look at programming a crystal (and what that means). You will learn how to “tune in” to your special crystal allies. As well as tips and examples for setting intentions!
This is lesson 6 in our FREE Crystals Basics: Crystal Course For Beginners.
2. DO YOU HAVE TO PROGRAM A CRYSTAL?
First of all, when it comes to working with crystals, many people say that you must first program it.
The truth is…
YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT HAVE TO PROGRAM A CRYSTAL.
Crystals are already doing what they do without our help.
Let’s first talk about what it means to program your crystal, since this expression is a bit of a misnomer…
3. WHAT DOES PROGRAMMING A CRYSTAL MEAN?
Crystals are incredibly powerful conductors, receivers, amplifiers or generators of energy.
They contain enormous healing potential for those who are called to work with them.
Different crystals specialize in different wisdom and healing areas, depending on their mineral and structural make up (ie how each unique crystal works with energy). We call these specializations their properties. Crystals are groups in many different ways (e.g. by SYSTEM, COLOUR, SHAPE, chakra, family and so on). Each group has a set of properties, plus each type of crystal has more specific properties.
Since crystals are already doing what they do by default, we don’t need to tell them! What we DO want to do is tune in to their energies and open ourselves to work with them. We also might want to get specific about which properties the crystal has that we want to work with.
When we say we want to “program a crystal”, what we mean is:
PROGRAMMING A CRYSTAL MEANS WE WANT TO SET AN INTENTION WITH THE CRYSTAL, TO WORK ON A SPECIFIC TASK OR ISSUE, OR TOWARDS A CERTAIN GOAL.
4. WHAT ARE CRYSTALS TO YOU?
In order to set an intention with your crystal, you first need to clarify what crystals are to you. You need to be able to clearly visualize connecting to your stones.
VISUALIZATION (I.E. HOLDING A PICTURE CLEARLY IN YOUR MIND) IS HOW YOU DIRECT AND FOCUS YOUR WILL (IE YOUR ENERGY) IN A PARTICULAR DIRECTION.
Below are two suggestions of how you can choose to view what you are doing when you connect with a crystal. Once you have decided what feels right for you, form a clear picture in your mind of how you will communicate your intention to the crystal. Picture as much detail as you can. Remember, visualization is a super powerful tool!
1. WORKING WITH CRYSTALS AS COMPUTERS
The first is for those who prefer a “less-woo-woo” approach, and see crystals as non-sentient. In other words, you see a crystal as a tool that you can use much like a computer.
Crystals vibrate at very specific frequencies. These vibrational frequencies give rise to different applications. Quartz, which is primarily made of silicon, works very similarly to the silicon chips in a computer. Quartz is an excellent example as it has been widely used in various equipment for decades.
The first crystal oscillators were developed in the 1920’s. A crystal oscillator is a type of electric circuit that uses a piezoelectric resonator (a crystal) as its frequency-determining element. They are used in digital integrated circuits for providing a stable signal and in specific applications which require high-frequency reference. You will find them in many advanced electronic equipment and scientific instruments.
So we have physical proof that crystals are capable of working with invisible forces, being energy (electric and otherwise). Thanks to their mathematically precise crystalline structure that causes them to vibrate at specific frequencies, they have measurable effects on energy.
A crystal can be seen as a powerful natural computer. When you want to connect with your crystal, visualize something like this in your mind.
IMAGINE IT AS OPENING A COMPUTER PROGRAMME THAT YOU WANT TO WORK WITH.
P.S. If you enjoy science + crystals, you might enjoy this article on Popular Mechanics about potentially one of the biggest scientific breakthroughs in our lifetime – time crystals!
2. WORKING WITH CRYSTALS AS CONSCIOUS ENERGETIC BEINGS
The second approach is for those who view crystals as energetic beings with some form of sentience. Or perhaps as sacred energetic tools which connect to Divine Source, acting as a channel between you and Creatrix energy.
This approach is based on one’s understanding of energy, the Higher Self and All That Is. It is a more spiritual approach. If this concept fits with you, then you might find it most effective to visualize connecting to your crystal as talking to a being of light in a crystalline room. Or, visualize that holding the crystal creates a beam of light to connect to Source, your angels, guides or Higher Self.
IMAGINE HAVING A CONVERSATION WITH A CRYSTALLINE BEING, OR SEEING A BEAM OF LIGHT FROM THE CRYSTAL CONNECTING YOU TO A HIGHER SOURCE THAT YOU CAN THEN COMMUNICATE WITH.
5. SETTING THE SCENE
Find a quiet, peaceful space that you feel safe and relaxed in. And where you won’t be disturbed. (Cellphone on airplane mode, please!)
You might want to enhance the energy of the space. You can do this in different ways, for example:
This will help set the mood, and get you ‘in the zone’ as well. For more on this, check out our article CREATING YOUR OWN SACRED SPACE.
6. SETTING YOUR INTENTION
Once you have a picture in your mind of how you are going to connect to the crystal, and you’ve settled yourself in a supportive environment, let’s set the intention.
The intention is clarifying exactly what you want to do, what your goal is, what you hope to achieve. What is it that you want the crystal to do for you?
As we’ve discussed, crystals have lots of properties assigned to them. By setting your intention, you are narrowing in on what it is you want to focus on, what property you want to work with.
You can get as specific as you like, or keep it open and broad. It’s completely your choice.
TIPS & EXAMPLES
Not sure how to express your intention, or new to this? Follow these tips below!
- Use a pen and paper to write down your thoughts.
- Keep re-writing until you are 100% happy.
- Make your intention SHORT and SIMPLE. One line is best.
- Always use POSITIVE words, never negative. E.g. Rather than saying “less anxious” say “calmer” or “more grounded”.
Here are some wording examples to help you start off your intention:
- dedicate this crystal to… (purpose / request)”
- programme this crystal for… (purpose / request)”
- charge this crystal with my intention to… (purpose / request)”
- request that this crystal assist me with (purpose / request)”
- will work together with this crystal to achieve (purpose / request)”
And here are some broad-based examples of intentions to give you inspiration:
- dedicate this crystal to the highest good; to bringing love into my environment & into my heart.
- will work together with this crystal to achieve self-love & healthy confidence.
- programme this crystal to bring new financial opportunities into my life, along with the courage to follow these opportunities.
- will work with this crystal to stay motivated & remain focused on my goals.
- dedicate this crystal to always bringing positivity & light to me.
- intend for this crystal to be effective for healing. In light & love for the highest & greatest good of all.
- freely release all that no longer serves my higher purpose, with the help of this crystal.
7. CONNECT TO THE CRYSTAL
To start off, centre yourself and clear your mind by doing a breathwork exercise.
- Get comfortable in a sitting position.
- Feel yourself grounding and connecting to the earth and the present moment.
- Take a few deep, slow breaths…
- Focus on the feeling of the air entering through your mouth… Then filling up your lungs… And gently expanding your chest.
- Now the feeling of the air leaving your lungs through your nose… As your chest slowly and gently deflates… Your shoulders drop…
- A moment of stillness…then the next inhale.
- Allow your mind to clear, as thoughts become background noise and then slowly fade away. Centre all your focus on this moment and this breath. And the next, and the next.
2. FOCUS ON THE CRYSTAL
If you haven’t already CLEANSED THE CRYSTAL, do it now.
Hold the crystal in your hand.
Focus on the weight and feel of the crystal for a couple of minutes.
Is it cold, heavy, light, smooth, rough?
Focus just on the sensation of its weight and texture resting against your skin.
Look at the crystal and take in its form.
Notice veils, or inclusions or colours or shapes.
You might like to close your eyes at this point. (But if you prefer you can keep your gaze on the stone in your hand.)
NOW HOLD THE IMAGE OF THE CRYSTAL IN YOUR MIND. FEEL IT IN YOUR HANDS. REMEMBER EACH LITTLE DETAIL ABOUT IT.
3. OPEN THE CONNECTION
Now you are going to visualize connecting to your crystal. Whether it’s a computer or sacred tool or a sentient being of light, bring that picture into your mind. You may want to picture yourself in a crystalline room or cave, almost as though your consciousness is now inside the crystal.
You may begin to become aware of the crystal’s energy. It can feel different to each person, and with different crystals. Here are some common sensations:
- A faint tingling sensation on your skin.
- The crystal seems to get very hot.
- You might begin to feel a bit lightheaded.
- A prickling sensation on your scalp.
- Feeling an energy flowing through you.
- A wave of calmness, peace or joy washing over you.
Don’t worry if at first you don’t really feel anything. Keep practicing this technique and it will become easier and easier to connect to your crystal.
4. STATE YOUR INTENTION
In this calm, connected state, you are ready to set your intention.
Say your intention that you prepared earlier – you can say it out loud, or just in your mind. Repeat it a few times.
Take a few moments to visualize what the outcome of your intention looks and feels like. Imagine the results as though they have already happened. Feel the happiness and joy of experiencing that positive outcome. This is a very important step in the process so spend some time here.
8. CLOSE OFF
Once you’ve felt the intention as though already achieved, you are ready to close off.
Visualize the crystal glowing with a bright white light, fully charged and imbued with your purpose.
You might want to give thanks. To the crystal, yourself and/or Higher consciousness or Divine Spirit.
You can say “Thank you”, “Namaste”, “So it is,” or “It is done”. Go with whatever feels comfortable to you.
Done! Your crystal has now attuned to your purpose.
9. IN SUMMARY
Although it is not mandatory to program a crystal, it is a lovely way of getting in tune with your crystal allies. And programming just means setting your intention – being clear about what it is you want. You can program a crystal in just a few simple steps:
- Cleanse your crystal. Releasing any old energy or imprints.
- Visualise what working with the crystal means. Is it a computer? Or a sacred tool? Is it a sentient being?
- Set the Scene. By setting a calming, undistracted space to tune in to its energy.
- Set your intention. Think about how you’d like the crystal to work with you in your life. Write out a simple, short and clear intention.
- Connect with the crystal. Centre yourself to clear your mind. Then focus fully on the crystal. See if you can feel it’s energy.
- State your intention.
- Close off. Visualize the crystal charged with your intent. You can say ‘thank you’, ‘namaste’, ‘it is done’ or whatever you feel comfortable with.
In the next and final lesson, we will cover how to start working with crystals in your daily life! Not sure what to do with the crystal once you’ve cleansed and/or programmed it? Read on to find out!
CRYSTAL BASICS LESSON 7: